Sports Football

NFL

Vikings, agent stand firm regarding Adrian Peterson

The Sports Xchange

Suspended Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson (left) exits following his hearing against the NFL over his punishment for child abuse in  New York in this December 2, 2014 file photo. (REUTERS/Brendan McDermid/Files)

Suspended Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson (left) exits following his hearing against the NFL over his punishment for child abuse in New York in this December 2, 2014 file photo. (REUTERS/Brendan McDermid/Files)

The Minnesota Vikings and agent Ben Dogra reiterated their stances regarding running back Adrian Peterson on Monday.

At the NFL owners meetings in Phoenix, general manager Rick Spielman said, "Adrian's a member of our football team. He is under contract with us, and we are focused on the 2015 season and expect Adrian to be a part of that."

Spielman would not say whether Peterson has asked for a trade or whether the Vikings are considering parting with him.

Meanwhile, Dogra told Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports: "I don't think it's in the best interests of Adrian Peterson to play for the Minnesota Vikings."

Those words come days after Dogra reportedly declined a request by Spielman for a dinner meeting in Phoenix this week.

Dogra also reportedly had an altercation with chief contract negotiator Rob Brzezinski at the Combine in Indianapolis last month as Dogra told the Vikings that Peterson was done in Minneapolis.

Peterson remains on the commissioner's exempt list as the NFL appeals a ruling overturning his suspension for a child-abuse case.

Earlier this month, coach Mike Zimmer and Spielman spent more than four hours talking with Peterson at his home in Houston, trying to convince Peterson that he should remain with the Vikings.

After that meeting, Peterson told ESPN's Josina Anderson: "I appreciate Rick and coach Zimmer coming down to see me today. We had a great dialogue and they were able to understand where I was coming from and concerns my family and I still have. We respect each other and hopefully the situation can pan out so that everyone involved is content."

Peterson previously had expressed concerns that the Vikings did not support him and he has said he is "uneasy" about returning to the team.

Last Monday in New York, Peterson reportedly met with team owners Zygi and Mark Wilf, plus Spielman, about his concerns over a return to Minnesota.

On Wednesday, Dogra let it be known that the Vikings had told him they will not release the running back.

Peterson, who turned 30 on Saturday, has three years remaining on his contract and is owed $12.75 million next season. He reportedly has expressed interest in playing for his home-state Dallas Cowboys or for the Arizona Cardinals.

Peterson was placed on the exempt list in September, when charges were filed alleging Peterson had abused his 4-year-old son. Peterson claimed he did not intend injury while disciplining the boy with a wooden switch.

Peterson avoided jail time, pleading no contest to reckless assault on Nov. 4, and commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Peterson for the rest of the season for a violation of the personal conduct policy. The suspension was to run through April 15.

Peterson was placed back on the exempt list last month after federal judge David Doty ordered the NFL to vacate his suspension. The NFL has appealed Doty's decision.


Reader's comments »

By adding a comment on the site, you accept our terms and conditions


Featured Businesses

Go to the Marketplace »