Bills sign controversial OG Richie Incognito
Former Dolphins guard Richie Incognito signed with the Bills. (Doug Benz/Reuters/Files)
The Buffalo Bills have signed controversial guard Richie Incognito.
ESPN and the Buffalo News reported earlier in the day that a deal was imminent, and the Bills later confirmed they had signed him. Terms of the contract were not announced, although James Walker of ESPN reported it is a one-year deal.
Incognito was out of the NFL last year after he served an eight-game suspension in 2013 for bullying former Miami Dolphins teammate Jonathan Martin.
The veteran offensive lineman was cleared last summer to play again after a league investigation found Incognito and fellow offensive linemen John Jerry and Mike Pouncey harassed Martin, who was later traded to the San Francisco 49ers.
Incognito visited the Bills and took a physical Saturday, a source told ESPN.
A source close to new coach Rex Ryan -- who in his introductory news conference last month said "we're going to build a bully" -- told the Buffalo News that the physical was a formality and that Incognito would join the Bills. The source added that Ryan considered Incognito a high-priority acquisition.
The 31-year-old Incognito played three games for the Bills in 2009. During his season out of the NFL in 2014, he visited the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Denver Broncos but never signed.
Drafted in 2005 by the Rams, Incognito spent four-plus seasons in St. Louis. He was cut by the Rams in 2009 and claimed on waivers by the Bills before he became a free agent and went to the Dolphins.
With Ryan expected to rely heavily on the running game, Incognito could fill a need on the offensive line. The Bills ranked 25th in the NFL in rushing yards per game last year.