10 tips to help you decide your relationship status
In today’s modern ‘try it before you buy it’ society, casual relationships happen more often before couples settle in and /or down. This is all well and good - as long as all parties are on the same page in regards to where the relationship stands and where it may be going. I’ve had conversations with guy friends where they vehemently denied the fact that they had a girlfriend. My next question was of course, “Are there any girls out there that would be upset to hear you say that?” This inquiry was met with a dumbfounded look of surprise and horror. With this in mind, I’ve compiled a few helpful hints to guide you through the murky waters of whether your relationship highway: Are you headed towards Monogamyville or Singletown?
Monogamyville or you're probably going to end up in a relationships
- She left a toothbrush at your house: Women are instinctual animals;they mark their territory by leaving little clues around your place to let other girls know that there is another female in the picture. I was once shocked to find that the lady friend of a former roommate purchased a box of tampons and left it in the bathroom of our bachelor pad (overdoing it, yes!). If a pink toothbrush magically appears in your medicine cabinet, congratulations! You have a girlfriend.
- Meet the parents: Living with parents who greet your guests at the door is one thing, but if you’ve had the proper introduction and sit down with the family, I think it is safe to say that your relationship just escalated from casual to official.
- You speak every day: Even in today’s world of constant connectivity the cadence of communication will tell you a great deal about the level of interest or commitment to the relationship. If you converse every day whether through text, email or traditional telephone, chances are good that things are escalating to the next level.
- Sleepovers: Falling asleep after a late night romp the odd time is one thing, but planning sleepovers in advance requires forethought and consideration that goes beyond booty calls.
- Travel companion: Travelling together can make or break even the longest of relationships, so if you’ve gone down that road and both of you made it back unscathed, chances are good that at least one of you considers you to be a couple.
Singletown or ..maybe, next ones the lucky charm?
- The best friend: Woman share everything with their best friend. Everything. So if you’ve been on more than a handful of dates and still have yet to meet the most important people in her life, you are likely on the not to-do list.
- Guest of honour: If the person who you believe to be your significant other regularly attends events such as weddings or parties without bringing you along as a plus one, chances are you may be the only one who thinks that you're more than what you actually are.
- The talk: If neither of you have broached the subject of where the relationship is going or about being sexually exclusive then the answer to whether you have a girlfriend is probably, no.
- Weekend warrior: Life is busy and it can be difficult to juggle work, exercise, family and social engagements. If you’re dating someone who doesn’t make an effort to regularly see you in person over the course of multiple weekends, you likely aren’t at the top of their list of priorities.
- Home sweet home: Their place may be a mess or they may be having a spat with a roommate. If you’ve been dating for a few weeks and have yet to see where they live then something is definitely amiss.