Firefighters quell blaze at Cedar Bay 0
Portage la Prairie firefighters returned Thursday morning to a house that was on fire on Wednesday evening, as there was still smoldering in the house from the fire from the night before. The cause of the fire was determined to be electrical. (Angela Brown, Portage Daily Graphic)
Portage firefighters responded to a townhouse fire Wednesday evening that saw significant damage.
At about 7 p.m. firefighters were called to the fire in a home at Cedar Bay.
There were 17 firefighters and four trucks that attended the scene.
Portage Emergency Services confirmed the cause of the fire to be electrical.
The fire was located in the wall of the upstairs area and was extinguished quickly.
Damages were estimated at about $20,000 in total for the building and contents.
There was fire damage in the attic and smoke damage throughout the home.
Two people were in the house when they first noticed the smoke and were able to escape in time.
No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.
Firefighters returned to the scene on Thursday to deal with reports of smoldering insulation in the building that caused some lingering smoke.
Members cleared the smoke from the air when they did a follow-up survey of the home.
“The fire originated upstairs in the attic as a result of some electrical issues,” said Dave Holmes, with Portage Emergency Services. “The fire got into some insulation upstairs. We are just back today to get rid of some smoldering insulation that caused some lingering smoke. We are doing a re-check, and clearing smoke out of the home.”
The townhouse will remain vacant until the renovations following the fire are complete.
The other townhouses in the complex were not damaged by the email@example.com