Man recovering from burns after house fire 0
Wayde Anderson's home was burned to the ground after repairing his boat and things went awry. (File photo)
It was just a regular Thursday evening for Wayde Anderson, who was working on his boat in the garage when it happened.
With his son snoozing safely inside the home, Anderson's attempt to fix the boat blew out of proportion - literally.
The explosion caused the garage to catch fire at around 8:30 p.m. and left him badly burned as he sustained injuries to his hands, body, arms and face (none in the third degree).
But while the fire hadn't yet spread to the main house, Anderson still had time, and the wherewithal, to save his son and even the dog.
"It was just instinct to get him and it was good that I made it and I didn't go unconscious," said Anderson.
"It was scary I tell you that. When I caught on fire, I was trying to get myself out and I rolled around to put the fire out. My kid and I were the only one home. I went back into the house and grabbed my little boy … and got out," he said.
After all was said and done, Anderson, a farmer by trade, was transported to the Health Sciences Centre in Winnipeg, where he was treated for his burn injuries. He is expected to be released on Friday.
Anderson plans to recuperate over the next month and a half as the family looks to relocate back to Rossendale by the end of the month so his daughter can go back to school in the area.
He also said that the family would soon look for a house to stay in until the spring and find another property to build another house.
Chris Leckie, fire chief at the MacGregor Fire Department, said that the fire is still under investigation and added that fire teams from Austin, Treherne and Baker Colony also helped to put out the fire, which lasted for a couple hours.
"It's took us a couple of hours to contain and it's one of those fires that you just don't see all the time," said Leckie.
Paul White, communications rep with the Province, said that the damage is estimated at $600,000 as the house, garage, a fifth wheel camper and a pickup truck was lost in the blaze.
The RM of North Norfolk has had some sour luck with fires this summer as Wayne's Family Restaurant was scorched by fire a couple weeks ago after more than 20 years in business.
The Department is encouraging people to be safe when operating flammable devices or structures and make sure the proper safety precautions are accounted for.