Fire destroys grain elevator near Portage la Prairie 0
Portage Emergency Services were busy putting out a grain elevator fire Wednesday night.
A private grain elevator was destroyed in a blaze Wednesday night northwest of Portage la Prairie.
Portage Emergency Services confirmed they received a call for service at about 11 p.m. Wednesday.
"We had the crew on the scene until about 5:30 this morning," said acting captain Don Robertson.
There is no estimated damage amount from the blaze, which occurred about six miles northwest of Portage, near the Macdonald area.
There were no injuries as a result of the fire.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire and no other buildings were destroyed in the blaze.
The fire department determined the cause of the fire was a nearby controlled burn, which was unattended, that became out of hand.
Some grass was being burned near the grain elevator structure and it caught the structure on fire also.
Robertson advises property owners to be vigilant if they are conducting a burn at their site to avoid similar hazards from occurring.