Stay safe during Canada Day weekend - RCMP 0
In recent weeks, RCMP across Manitoba responded to a number of serious collisions resulting in fatalities and serious injuries. In the majority of the crashes, alcohol has been considered a contributing factor. In others, occupants were not wearing their seatbelts and were ejected from the vehicle and killed - typically by the vehicle they were in.
The road can be a safe place to be if we all do our part.
With the July long weekend upon us, many will be eager to "hit the road" and head out of town to the cottage, or to visit family and friends.
Basic safety rules can make a huge difference to keep everyone safe this weekend:
- Keep your eyes on the road - a split second distractions can be devastating.
- Cellular phone calls/text/BBMs can wait until you can safely pull over or until you get to your destination - no calls or message is more important than your safety or those on board your vehicle.
- Wear your seatbelt - they do save lives.
- Do not exceed the speed limit - speed continues to be the leading cause in crashes.
- Intersections - the risk of collisions at intersection increases, pay close attention when crossing an intersection.
- Don't drink and drive - plan ahead for a ride if you intend on consuming alcohol.
The RCMP will be out, doing extra patrols over the long weekend. The RCMP cannot do it alone. We ALL need to do our part. Don't take chances with your life.