Many students recognized in Westpark School awards ceremony 0
Here is the list of Westpark School's academic award recipients as announced at the spring 2012 graduation ceremony this week:
1. Queen Elizabeth II Scholarship is awarded to a Grade 12 student who lives within the city of Portage who has fully completed Grade 12 with the highest academic standing of those eligible and who will be furthering their education at a University, Community College, or Christian College. Scholarship is for $500.....Recipient: KaylyLetkeman.
2. Portage Rotary "Service Above Self" Scholarship is awarded to a student who is enrolled in post-secondary education or apprenticeship training and is a student who most clearly, consistently, and inclusively demonstrates honesty, integrity, fair play, a desire to build relationships, demonstrates a servant-heart, and shows unusual concern for others well-being over their own. This criteria is from the Rotary Four Way Test. This scholarship is for $500.....Recipient: Kayly Letkeman.
3. Portage Hospital Auxilliaryis awarded to a student who is enrolled in a University or College in the field of medicine. Scholarship is for $300..... Recipient: KaylyLetkeman and Alison Loewen.
Royal Canadian Legion Branch #65 Poppy Fund Bursary is given to a graduate who is the child, grandchild or great grandchild of Canadian Ex-Service personnel or Class "C" Reserve Merchant Navy personnel who have been awarded stars or decorations. Student must also demonstrate financial need. The bursary is for $350.....Recipient: Alison Loewen
5. Chown Centennial Scholarship is awarded to a graduate who has completed Grade 12 with a minimum average of 85% and is registered for the following September for a normal full course load in the first year of studies at the University of Manitoba. The recipient must be best "all around" student. Scholarship is for $500.....Recipient: KaylyLetkeman
6. Portage Alliance Church Bursary is awarded to a student who attends Portage Alliance Church and is registered to attend a post-secondary institution in the fall. Applicants are judged on academic standing, leadership ability, servant attitude, growth in Christian life, appropriate handling of adversity, showing kind and fair treatment of younger students and being involved in ministry in the church. Bursary is for $500.....Recipient: KaylyLetkeman
7. The Portage Alliance Church Youth Ministry Bursary is awarded to a student who is an active member of the Portage Alliance Church Youth Group and who must be attending an accredited University or College in the fall. Applicants are judged on academic standing, leadership ability, servant attitude, growth in Christian Life, appropriate handling of adversity, showing kind and fair treatment of others and involvement in ministry in their church. Bursary is for $500. .....Recipient: Alison Loewen
8. Southport Aerospace Scholarship is awarded to a Grade 12 student who has fully completed Grade 12 with the highest academic standing of those eligible and who will be furthering their education at a University, Community College, or Christian College. Scholarship is for $500......Recipient: KaylyLetkeman
9. Portage Credit Union Bursaryis awarded to a graduate who must be a member or son/daughter of a member of Portage Credit Union. They must be entering a program in a post-secondary educational institution (in a Univeristy, Community College, Bible College or any other government or private institution subject to approval by the Board of Directors) in the same year as graduation. Other criterion that is considered is academics, and school and community involvement. Bursary is for $1,000. ..... Recipient: Alison Loewen.
10. University of Toronto National Book Award is given to a student who demonstrates superior academic performance, original and creative thought, and exceptional achievement in a broad context. The winner does not only excel in academic pursuits but has an enthusiasm and involvement in the life of their school and community. ..... Recipient: Kayly Letkeman.
11. Hogg Centennial Entrance Scholarship is an academic award given to a student entering year one at the University of Manitoba. The scholarship is for $1,400. .....Recipient: Kayly Letkeman.
12. Governor General's Bronze Medal. The Governor General's Academic Medals are one of the most prestigious awards that a student in a Canadian educational institution may receive. For more than 125 years, the Academic Medals have recognized the outstanding scholastic achievements of students in Canada. The Bronze Medal is awarded to the graduating student who has achieved the highest academic average over all courses at the Grade 11 & 12 level. The average obtained must be 85% or better. ...... Recipient: Kayly Letkeman, with 92.4 per cent average.